Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Favorite Mystery

During the member talk from the 20s Group we had an “ice-breaker” so that everyone would get to know each other names and help us to know something about one another. The “ice-breaker” for the 20s Group this past Thursday was made by Camille and it was to pick your favorite mystery from the Rosary. For those who are unaware of the Rosary, there are officially fifteen Mysteries, but in 2002 I believe Blessed Pope John Paul II added five more Mysteries, so that makes twenty.
Each of these mysteries are grouped together due their context.

The Glorious Mysteries are: The Resurrection, The Ascension, and The Descent of the Holy Spirit, The Assumption of Our Lady, and The Coronation of Our Lady.

The Joyful Mysteries are: The Annunciation, The Visitation, The Nativity, The Presentation, and the Finding of Jesus in the Temple.

The Sorrowful Mysteries are: The Agony in the Garden, The Scourging, The Crowning of Thorns, The Carrying the Cross, and the Crucifixion.

The Luminous Mysteries (the newly added group of mysteries) are: The Baptism in the Jordan, The Wedding at Cana, The Proclamation of the Kingdom, The Transfiguration, and The Eucharist.

When it came around for me to introduce myself, I did have a difficult time choosing just one mystery because each mystery is important to me and the world in some way. But, when I was thinking upon it, I knew that my favorite mystery was “The Carrying of the Cross”.

I am constantly in deep thought during the Rosary when that mystery comes up, I can only think, “He did this for Me and for all those in the world, so they can be closer to the Father.” But, also I am reminded that I must take upon my cross no matter how difficult and carry it, never to whine that it is too heavy, for Jesus bared the heaviest cross and he did that for mankind, not for himself.

So, for those who read this my blog/journal, what is your favorite mystery? What compels you to think upon it more and more than the rest?

No comments: