Friday, October 21, 2011

Blogging after a few days haitus...

One of my biggest flaws is having a lot on my mind, yet I cannot write the thoughts down (or in truth, type). It could be how I was educated in a school district that cared more of pushing testing scores than to actually teach.  It reminds me of a political issue commercial where a teacher says something about remember those who teach your kids for we care for your kids and if you vote yes on an issue it would take away our ability to teach your kids…if you cared for the kids you would fight to budget the school’s money better not ask taxpayers for more every five years. (Not even that sometimes)

With today being my great-grandmother Vada’s birthday (who died in 2009) I begin to write again. What happened these pasts few days? I began to read again Dominican Preaching a book which I wrote about in an earlier entry. I had left the book for a week, which I have done to other books before if I am dealing with a lot and feel I cannot focus on a book. It was yesterday night during Holy Hour that I read some great preaching by Fr. Charles Hyacinth McKenna, O.P. Currently I am still reading his sermon on The Confessional, which is a deep, logical, an easy flow explanation of the Catholic teachings on Confession (this sermon is not dated on when it was presented but around 1870s-1900s would be my guess).

A forewarning to the readers of this blog, these next few paragraphs will be quotes from the sermon:

“But some will say, “You are not one of the disciples. Granting that He gave this power to those who were there, will you claim that you also can forgive sins?” I ask, was this power for the benefit of the disciples, or for the benefit of the people? If for the benefit of the people, why in the name of God should it be confined to those days when our Lord appeared on earth, and we poor sinners be deprived of it since we need it surely as much as those who lived in the days of the disciples?”

“The power was for the benefit of poor sinners. The sun has no his light for his own benefit, the ocean has not its water for its own benefit, the stars in heaven do not shine for their own benefit, nor does the earth give its fruits for its own benefit. I am not a priest for my own benefit, but for yours. You understand that in the words of St. Paul we are the ambassadors of Chris for the benefit of man.”

“Was the Republic for George Washington, or George Washington for the Republic? Surely you would say this wonderful man, so singularly gifted, was for the benefit of the people. Washington died, but the President lives. Adams died, but the President lives. Jefferson died, but the President lives; and so, too Pierce and Buchanan and Lincoln and Garfield and Grant one by one they died, but the President lives, aye, and will live, I hope to the end of the world, for he is necessary for the government of the people. So I would say Simon died, but Peter lives; Linus died, but Peter lives; Clement died, but Peter lives; and so the Gregorys, the Benedicts, and the Innocents one by one they died, but Peter lives in Leo XIII, and will live to the end of the world, because he is necessary for the government of the Church established by Jesus Christ, and to him the keys are handed down that were first given to Peter.”  (A great way to defend the Holy See, I think.)

“But you would ask the question, Can you forgive sins? I ask, What do you mean by that question? Can I as Mr. McKenna forgive sins? I answer, No. But If you ask me, Can I as Father McKenna forgive sins? I answer, By the grace of God and the authority of the Holy See, I can.”

“And now I would ask you a question. When the Governor of your State says, “Take this man and on such a day hang him, or put to death according to the law,” does he do this as a private individual? You say, No. I say, No; he dare not. How does he do it? Clothed with the sovereignty of the State, with the majesty of the law. Because as a private individual he has not that power. And how do I forgive sins? Ah, not in the name of a petty State, or in the sovereignty of a Republic of 100 years; but in the name of that grand old Church of 1900 years, of that republic spread throughout the whole world and in the name of the living God, who minister I am, I am pronounce the sentence of pardon; “And what you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and what you shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Do you ask me; “am I the power? I answer, No; I am but the agent appointed to put that power in motion.”

“I will now answer an objection of our adversaries. Some have ventured to say that confession was an invention of the priest in order to have control over the people. Strange that he should establish a law which becomes to him the most arduous labor of his life; and invent, too, a law to which he himself must submit, for it is known to all that every priest from this Pope down to the lowest in the Hierarchy, must go to confession just as well as the people.”

I am hoping by the end of this month to finish Dominican Preaching and just to hint, I would love to own the book so I can actually highlight (with pencil) in the book. (This is why I rarely borrow books, because I cannot write in the book my thoughts at that moment) And this weekend I will begin Tuesdays with Morrie which is the first official book for the little book club I co-created with two of dear friends and sisters, Camille and Emily. (There is an entry about new blog that I write in for the book club) It will take me nine days if I just read three chapters a day, but I know me I will need to spread it a little more; more to come with the November book, hopefully in future entries.

A lot of other events have happened these past few days, but I do not to write those thoughts or events on this blog, that I will keep to myself and speak to those who need to know, just please pray for me.

God Bless,

Nikita

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'll be praying for you. There's a lot going on with me, too, so prayers would be great. :)