Monday, November 7, 2011

20s Group: For the Dead and Barn Dance

Saturday, the St. Patrick's 20s Group was invited to a Barn Dance by the St. Gertrude's 20s Group. There was at least ten of us that came to the event, the girls in pictures (L-R: Paula, Emily, Camille, and I) carpooled up to De Graff, Ohio (that is near Bellfountaine, Ohio). But, before we headed towards there we all went to Mt. Calvary Cemetery to pray for the souls of those who have died.

Mt. Calvary Cemetery is the oldest Catholic Cemetery in Columbus, Ohio. I had actually wanted to go to that cemetery because for me those who are buried there are forgotten, bothers the heck out of me that people forget these people who in turn are praying for you; they too, need prayers. So, the four of us split up and prayed the Rosary on our own. I went to find JR's Grandma Unverzagt's families since that was my other reason for going. I prayed the Sorrowful Mysteries of the Holy Rosary, which is my favorite of them all. I did walk around what was known as the Holy Cross sections and cleaned off a few (they just had loose grass from caretakers mowing). Once we had finished all four of us would met back up at Bishop Watterson's grave and pray an Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, and for the intentions of the Pope for the poor souls (if I remember correctly).

Once we left the Cemetery, off we went to the farm. It is a nice area and I can say I would not mind living there. They had a little petting area, they also had received gifted with a litter of puppies (Australian Shepherds), but truly the great thing was celebrating the Vigil Sunday Mass there. The celebrate of the Mass was a priest from the Dayton area (part of the campus ministry actually for UD). One thing that I loved from his homily was pretty much this: Do not wait ten, twenty, or even fifty years to get something, you should start now because the future is the present.

After Mass the party started well, having a little food in the stomach. The way the Barn Dance worked was they would have three sets of square dancing and then about fifteen minutes of either line dancing (like cha-cha/slide or cupid shuffle) and/or good music from all genres (but mainly rock and country). I got to know and talked to those in the 20s Group that I had formed a friendship with, like Sarah, who I find I can really talk theology and country music.

I did not square dance, but I got to get help take care of Henry, whose Mom and Dad are from the St. Patrick's group. He liked going outside and looking at the animals, but my favorite moment was just holding him and dancing to the music. It is with moments like those that I am reminded how blessed I will be with coming of our (JR and I) own children.

The majority of us left around 11:15pm. My good time was almost halted when I called the house and asked how everyone was. I will not go into details, but Camille was almost ready to I think park the car and Gibb slap me. Not many understand the situation of how my life has been or use to be. Maybe some other time.

All in all, the day was great!
Nikita 

No comments: