Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Meeting Lora Innes and 20s Group Bonfire

It is difficult to explain the reasons of why I have not written in two weeks, but I due it to no Internet, only a little time to rush to read my favorite comic, The Dreamer by Lora Innes. I met Lora Innes finally at my very first comic book convention. There are a few things I can say I cannot stand about the convention, but overall I was glad I went.

Meeting Lora Innes was a blast, to see her works in front of me was better than looking at them from the screen of my laptop. I felt like a school-girl. I spent half of what I brought to the convention on her booth alone. One thing I truly do thank her for is my new sticker of Nathan Hale, who in fact is one of my favorite characters. She gave me the sticker for free, which if Lora Innes reads this, I am so very happy to have the stick, or really just to own the new stuff.

What makes me love this Columbus-native's work, well one big reason is she brought American History to life, she did not re-edit history, no, she in turn brought light the history that is long forgotten, for we only care of the main details not the lives of the people in the history unless they were GREATS. (sorry I am sucker for admitting not being a Washington or Jefferson or even Franklin-lover, I find they were truly lost to lore of the times and we forget some of heroes)

Another big reason is the artwork is amazing, it something I have become picky about, the way a comic book looks, in Lora's comics there is a sense of making the characters look realistic, but give a little cartoonist in each of them. I really recommend her work, but I cannot wait for other series that she creates in the near future. She has done one of the three favorite times periods for me, what is next....Civil War, let me only pray it will be. Plus, it would be great to have a Native American story actually. Maybe the Trail of Tears or something like that....or maybe the Shawnee. Alright enough of my rant of what could be brought to life by Lora Innes.

One of my main reasons to going to Mid-Ohio was to meet and show my absolute fan-girl side to my FAVORITE artist/author! But, what to do after that first meeting, well I went to other booths hoping to find other artists that would fit what I like, there were a few, such as Alan Evans, who was the artist of the "Hello" book, on how Nathan Hale and Allan Warren met. There were others and hopefully by the end of the year I will have a new list of artists/authors to mention, but I know my favorite will always be Lora Innes, to which I owe my dear friend Mary to introducing The Dreamer to me.

So, will I go next year to Mid-Ohio Con, oh yes, but I will have a costume this time, and hopefully with the help of many of my friends, I will have it ready by then. I will let you all to the details as they come through (since I am not really sure if I can get everything together).

Later that day my fiance, JR (who also decided to come to the convention) and I went the 20s Group's Bonfire and Fall Party (Website ) at one of the group member's home. There was a good group there and certainly that could be done again anytime. One of my favorite memories there was watching Henry, he is the little mascot for the group (well most of us think of him that way) and his parents are members of the group, well he named a pumpkin, Henry.

That is all for this post, more to come in the next one.

God Bless,
Nikita 

No comments: