Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Favorite Dominican Saints and Blesseds

I was reading one of my friend's blogs and thought why not I do the same. (Forgive me for copying, Emily) I decided that I should start with the Saints and then move on into the Blesseds.

Saint Dominic, no offense should be a favorite for every Dominican (laity or religious). Without his desire to preach and teach we would not have the Order at all.

He is without a doubt second to St. Joseph when it comes to what we know of his mind, for St. Dominic there is little of his work except the Rule of the Order and three letters, I believe. It is only by those biographers who lived with him that we know what he said and did.

Another of my favorites is of course what many consider the Mother of the Order, Saint Catherine of Siena. What makes her one of my favorites other than she is the patron of the Dominican Laity Chapter I am apart of?

Well, for what I know about her, (which I am still learning) she was a great woman of the Church. What many perceived how women were Catherine proved quite differently. She convinced the Pope to move back to Rome, in that alone is great. And yet, she was still a woman, who did not force that she lead the Church and the women to reign over men, no. She was a woman that I would love to say I strive to become.

Another great woman of the Dominican Order, St. Rose of Lima. She was someone who showed that beauty was not graced upon those externally, but internally as well. When I asked my Godmother while she was in the convent to help me decide a religious name when I was received in the Dominican Laity as a novice, one of the first name she gave me was St. Rose.

I need to research her more, but I ask her constantly to help with finding the TRUE beauty of the human person, and not allow myself to concern my whole self on my external worth.



It would be difficult to not consider this Saint a member of my favorites. Saint Thomas Aquinas, a theologian, but a man who literally helped not only me, but many understand the faith through what is known as the Thomist (asking a question then disproving the question and then turning around to rebuke those answers). I have yet to sit down and read the Summa Theologica, but that will come in time. He is a favorite of mine because he is the trademark of the Dominican Order, but an influence to the Order as well, striving to preach and teach the Good News and Truth.

Onto the first of the Blesseds, well I am going to combine two Blesseds together. Blesseds Jordan of Saxony and Diana d' Andalo were of the first followers of Saint Dominic. Blessed Jordan became the Second Master of the Order and Blessed Diana would be one of the founders of the convent in Bologna. But, why would I want to put these two Blesseds together? Well, it is their letters that make them my favorites (well it is really just his, but they are addressed for Blessed Diana).

I have read the letters and what I have always loved about these two was their constant love of God, but to each other. Blessed Jordan was friend, brother, and father that Blessed Diana needed while she was soldier of the Order. But it was of Jordan's last letter that truly give real meaning of why I love these two. Here is the letter (it is going to be long, sorry):

To his most dear daughter, Diana of Bologna, Brother Jordan of the Order of Preachers, the unprofitable servant:--greetings and the constant friendship of Jesus Christ.

Because I cannot see thee with the eyes of my body and be consoled with thee as often as thou wishest and I would like, I refresh a little and soothe the desire of my heart by visiting thee with a letter and writing to thee about myself. I would also like to know how thou art, for thy progress and thy joyfulness are a sweet nourishment to my heart. But thou are not sure to what ends of the earth I may be called upon to go, and even if thou didst know thou wouldst not have messengers ready to take thy questions to me.

What we could write to each other, beloved, is after all but little; in the depths of our hearts burns our love for each other in the Lord, and by it we speak to each other continually in acts of love that neither tongue can speak nor word convey.

O Diana, miserable is this present state that we endure because we cannot love each other here without pain of heart or think of each other without anxiety! Thou art vexed; thou dost suffer because it is not permitted to see me always, and I, I also am distressed because thy presence is so rarely granted me.

Who will lead us to that "fortress-city," to that "city of the Lord of Hosts" that the "Most High Himself has founded" where we will no longer pant either for Him or for each other? Here, each day we are lacerated, and the depths of our hearts are torn asunder; our very miseries force us daily to cry out: "Who shall deliver us from the body of this death?"

Yet it behooves us to bear this patiently and as far as our daily duties permit to recollect our minds in Him alone Who can "deliver us from our necessities," in Whom alone rest is found, outside of Whom, no matter where we look, we find tribulation and an abundance of sorrow.

Meanwhile let us accept with joy whatever may happen to make us sad, for "according to the same measure by which our tribulations are meted out to us will also be the joy that will be given us," and poured into our hearts by the Son of God, Jesus Christ, to Whom is "honor and glory, virtue and power forever and ever, Amen."

Pray for me as I know thou dost. Greet for me the Prioress and Galiana. Greet each one of my friends who are not in the cloister, above all and especially those who are of thy spiritual family if they by chance should come to thee, and commend me to their prayers. Fare thee well, beloved daughter, in the Son of God, Jesus Christ.
Blessed Reginald of Orleans was another who I thought of choosing as my religious name. I learned about him while I was reading about St. Dominic in his biography by Sr. Mary Dorcy, OP. He is the one by the Blessed Virgin's love that the scapluar is part of the Dominican Habit. We know that Mary is a special patron for the Order and the story of Blessed Reginald proves this.

After Blessed Reginald was cured of his illness he preached in the universities and preaching the Truth. I found his story as I mention amazing and hopefully soon I would love to write out the story that I know. Please pray for him that another miracle by his intercession will help him to be a Saint.

I learned about Blessed Imelda Lambertini from my Godmother. This little girl who wished to recieve the Eucharist, her strive to have the Body of Our Lord in her so great. When she finally received the Eucharist, only hours I believe she died in the chapel to be with the Lord.

She is considered the patron of those recieving their first communion. Blessed Imelda's life reminds me of those who wish so much to be of the Church, but are hindered because of things that are seen and unseen. (One big example is my little sister, but that is for another time)

My final favorite Dominican is a recent addition to my favorite list. Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, a Dominican Layman who died at a very young age. I do not know much about him as of yet (but hoping by next month having a copy of his biography), but I can say that what I love most about this Blessed is his ablity to have joy and love for not only his neighbors, but for the Lord.

So, there you have it, my favorite Saints and Blesseds of the Dominican Order. Sorry that it was so long, but it had to be. :)

God Bless,
Nikita

No comments: