Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Hail, Holy Queen" Briefly noted


For the past week, I have been reading "Hail, Holy Queen" by Scott Hahn, I was looking around Barnes&Noble and noticed this and it reminded me of the retreat I was at on July 31st with the Dominican Laity Chapter I am apart of. I am currently on page 127 in the book. To add a bonus, I suggested this to a book club group I am apart of (that consent of friends from Saint Patrick's Twenties Group) and so hopefully on the fourteenth of this month we will be discussing this book.

Why am I writing, well for the sake of writing, but also because I want to write about what I have been reading about Mary, Mother of God. It sounds funny that Mary is one of those issues that many protestants have beef more so than they do other things. I, coming from a background where religion was not really addressed in my household, I did not have a problem with the Virgin Mary being honored or deemed as my Mother.

"Hail, Holy Queen" is based on Scripture as the key defense of honoring Mary, but also adding historical reference by Early Christians and Church Fathers. "In truth, the Church gives her honor and veneration as the greatest of saints, while reserving adoration and worship for God alone" (Page 112) Examples of what many consider "worship of Mary" would be the following: The Rosary, considering her a Queen of Heaven.

The Rosary in retrospect is the easiest to defend, for the Rosary itself is the life of Jesus through His Mother's eyes, since she was with him from his conception. We say the words that the angel said to Mary when greeting her, "Hail, full of Grace" and what her cousin Elizabeth said, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb". Mary, guides us through her Son's life and helps us understand what He did for us, not just for her.

It is kind of like what I tell everyone about Mary's Window (The Moon, which I learned from my godmother). The moon does not have its own light source, no the Sun shines its light on the moon, and that is then reflected down towards Earth. Well, the Sun is Jesus, the Son and the moon is Mary. Jesus shines his saving Grace upon Mary who in turn shares and shines onto us.

The Queen of Heaven is something not only Scott Hahn discussed in his book, but Fr. Thomas, OP spoke of at the retreat. You see, in my cultures and most especially the Israelites culture the King ruled with his Mother, known as the Queen Mother. Mary is the Mother of Jesus, so if he is ruling the Kingdom of Heaven his Mother is with Him as Queen Mother. I would like to quote a few paragraphs in "Hail, Holy Queen":

"Consider the following scene from early in Solomon's reign: "So Bathsheba went to King Solomon, to speak to him on behalf of Adonijah. And the king rose to meet her, and bowed down to her; then he sat on his throne, and had a seat brought for the king's mother; and she sat on his right" (I Kgs 2:19)....First, his power and authority are in no way threatened by her. He bows to her, but he remains the monarch. She sits at his right hand, no vice versa....Mary approaches her son to intercede for the people--just as Bathsheba spoke to Solomon on behalf of Adonijah. Mary counsels her son about the matter at hand; yet she counsels others to obey Him and not her. Jesus, then, speaks to His mother as her superior; yet He defers to her suggestion." (Pages 80-83)

I truly believe Scott Hahn does an amazing job as far I have read of giving cause of the Church Teachings on Mary to be valid and honored by the faithful. I thought I should write briefly of what I was reading at the time and thought it would be nice to write something on my blog.

Until next time, God Bless,
Nikita


No comments: