Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lion King in Movie Theatres


So, yesterday (yes since it is almost 3am) my fiance, JR and I went to see Lion King in 3D. I did not care so much about it being in 3D as most people would got nuts about, in fact the only thing I cared about is seeing the movie in a movie theatre. The last time I saw it on a big screen was when I was little and it was in a drive-in theatre, which was great in my opinion.

One of the things I forgotten was how much symbolism this movie had on me, but how Disney in the 90s really had young adult to adult themes in their movies and yet we as kids never looked at it that way. I told JR that I was holding back my tears during a few scenes.

One of those scenes was after Mufasa scolded Simba for disobeying him and they look up at the night sky and Mufasa tells Simba how the stars are the old Kings that look upon them. (Picture above is that scene)The heart-wrenching moment was when Mufasa said, "They are looking down upon you as will I" (I am not sure if I quoted that correctly). It reminded me of how my grandmother Jackie was towards me at the end of her days, reminding me that she would never leave me alone.

Another scene was when Simba was looking at his reflection and looks up to see the clouds turn into the shape of a lion who turns out to be his father. The part that made me cry was, "You have forgotten me"/"No, how could I"/"You do not know who you are, and so, you have forgotten me". That little part brought me to understand my Christian faith how there are many who have forgotten who they are, God's Children and so they have truly forgotten God, even though they claim they never have and kept to his law.

The last one is when Simba finds Mufasa dead. You watch as Simba tries to awaken his father, by pulling his ear and pushing at him. It is until Simba learns that his father is dead that he cries and cuddles against his father's lifeless body. It struck a cord of how I truly could not believe that my grandmother Jackie was dead, and when I saw her in the coffin, I wanted to crawl in there and lay next to her, because I wanted her comfort even when she was dead.

Death is horrible thing to experience, but what most of us do not understand is that Death is the commerical and that morning the physical lost is never a bad thing (it shows compassion of those you love), but do not dwell on upon it for you would forget the life and joy of when you see them again.

There are many other scenes that trigger my mind and make me tear up, but I wanted to vocalize those three because they seem very close to my heart and soul.

God Bless,
Nikita

1 comment:

Laura said...

I just rewatched The Lion King a few weeks ago! I saw it when it came out in the theaters, too, and it had been many years since I'd seen it again. But when I had my wisdom teeth surgery, I did a lot of movie watching. What a great movie! It's one of the best of Disney's recent animated films.