Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Remembering Pearl Harbor

"Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan." -President Franklin D. Roosevelt

How many forget this day, like it is just another day? How many say, this is nothing, it is of the past? This is not just another day, no this is a day that left many dead, to drown in their steel tombs. Their brothers in arms trying to not only live, but save others.

Tomorrow is the 70th Anniversary of the attack of Pearl Harbor. My push to have people to remember this day is not because I am a history major. No, I wish people to remember for they are lucky they never have had to go through something like that. We witnessed 9/11 on a television, but we truly never experienced it. Same goes for those who don't care or even know about the significance of tomorrow.

It rips my heart completely out when I listen to people tell me that December 7th is nothing, it doesn't matter. Really why is it that the Holocaust is constantly remembered and spoken about, but this event is only spoken about briefly and normally just on the anniversary of the attack?

These men who either died that day or live with the horror of those days are none other than then those who fought and served their country. I remember reading about Pearl Harbor how December 7th morning it was a Sunday, so it was relax day, some went to Church, some slept in, some were off doing their duties.

Wasn't it just an average day to them? It will never be for them now, and yet we don't care. One day I want a shirt that says, "I have never forgotten" and place this picture of the burning Arizona, for which all her dead are still entombed within her.

Here is the speech that President Franklin D. Roosevelt said the day after the attack:



To honor this day I have decided to pray the Office of the Dead as well as the prayers for the day for the souls of those who died that day and the veterans who were there at Pearl Harbor seventy years ago. I wish I had a book about that day, but I do not. (Sad fact really) for I would like to read the names of those who were killed that day.

At the end of this post there will be a post of one of the somber songs that is for those who have fallen for the Navy.

God Bless,
Nikita

No comments: