Thursday, December 22, 2011

Temporary Promises into the Dominican Laity

December 11th, 2011 I took my Temporary Promises into the Dominican Laity with Emily (Sr. Lucy) and Michael (Br. Albert Thomas). I wasn’t in the best of moods, but I can say that I felt something during the time I took my promises.

In those fleeting moments I felt that warm acceptance; that deep hug from your parents when all is good. I knew then that St. Dominic embraced me within his arms to say, “Welcome my daughter, you have found home.” It was a beautiful feeling, too soon gone with the way my mood was going. Even with my mood being the worst it was wonderful to finally take the next step to fully devote my life to the Rule of St. Dominic.

There are a few “cool” things now that I have taken steps towards my final promises. One, this means when I die, I have the option of wearing the habit of the Order. I think is amazing and quite frankly beautiful. The simplicity of this reminds me that when we die we take nothing with us but our souls and the sins we are stained with, the habit becomes our way of saying, “I leave the earthly world with nothing, but all my love for You as a Dominican.”

 Second, I can put at the end of my name, OP (Order of Preachers). To many that would be nothing and very vain of me, but placing the O.P. at the end of my name, reminds me that I am a faithful and loving daughter to Saint Dominic.

God Bless,
Ms. Nikita, O.P.
(Sr. Diana Jordan)

No comments: